Mississippi is named for the Mississippi river which forms its western boundary and empties into the Gulf of Mexico. The name roughly translated from Native American folklore means “Father of Waters.” The translation comes from the Chippewa words “mici zibi” meaning “great river” or “gathering in of all the waters” and the Algonquin word “Messipi”.
Mississippi was organized as a territory in 1798 and was admitted as the 20th state to join the Union on December 10, 1817. Jackson is the capital city and the largest metropolitan area.
Facts About Mississippi
- Full Name:
- State of Mississippi
- Joined Union:
- December 10, 1817
- 2.984 million (2012)
- Land Area (square miles):
- Race: white: 60%; black/African American: 37.3%; two or more races: 1.1%; Asian: 0.9%; other: 0.8%; Native American: 0.6%; Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Sex: female: 51.4%; male: 48.6%
Age: 0 to 14: 25.7%; 15 to 64: 61.7%; 65+: 12.6%
- US Representatives:
- Virtute et armis (By valor and arms)
- 10 Largest Cities:
- Jackson, Gulfport, Biloxi, Hattiesburg, Southhaven, Greenville, Meridian, Tupelo, Olive Branch, and Clinton
Experience the beautiful images of Mississippi
Submit your photos of Mississippi life and culture! Photos may be of architecture, nature, original artwork, etc., and must not be copyrighted nor require releases of any kind. Submitted images will be reviewed; not all images will be selected into the pool. Select images may be chosen to display on the MS.gov official state website. Submitted images may be resized or cropped to best fit MS.gov's display requirements. All images used will be attributed to the submitter. Submitter retains all rights to the image.
Mississippi is home to a long list of famous musicians, writers, artist, actors, and sports heroes. Discover some of the world's most well-know people who have the privilege of call Mississippi home.
- Jimmy Buffet (Musician): Born in Pascagoula on December 25, 1946
- Medger Evers (Civil Rights Activist): Born in Decatur on July 2, 1925
- Brett Favre (Football Player): Born in Gulfport on October 10, 1969
- William Faulkner (Author): Born in New Albany on September 25, 1897
- Jim Henson (Creator of the Muppets): Born in Greenville on September 24, 1936
- James Earl Jones (Actor): Born in Arkabutla on January 17, 1931
- B.B. King (Blues Musician): Born in Itta Bena on September 16, 1925
- Archie Manning (Football Player): Born in Drew on May 19, 1949
- Walter Payton (Football Player): Born in Columbia on July 25, 1953
- Elvis Presley (Singer): Born in Tupelo on January 8, 1935
- Eudora Welty (Author): Born in Jackson on April 13, 1909
- Tennessee Williams (Playwright): Born in Columbus on March 16, 1911
- Oprah Winfrey (Talk Show Host): Born in Kosciusko on January 29, 1954